Articles Gallery Homepage Most Viewed on Abandoned-France Top Rated on Abandoned-France Search Abandoned-France

Random Pictures - France
02.jpg
13.jpg
4.jpg
The ViaductAt forty meters high it offers an exceptional panoramic view. The crossing point of the old railway line of almost 40 km which connected Saint-Saviol to Le Blanc. Made out of stone between 1881 and 1884 following the plans of Paul Sejourne. It crosses the valley of the Vienne at a height of 40,25 metres with its 12 arches, which have an opening of 20 metres each. Its overall length is 304m. the line was inaugurated in 1891 but the rail traffic stopped in 1969.
1.jpg
Logis Saint-Michel
33.jpg
The turned columns are believed to have come from the nearby ruin of the Chateau de Lavauguyon
28.jpg
Eglise Saints Pierre et Paul

Home > France
Category Albums Pictures
Ariege
1 23
Mirepoix


10.jpg

The original town was virtually destroyed by flooding of the Hers-Vif river on 16 June 1289. It was rebuilt by Jean de Levis in 1290. The centre of Mirepoix is built around the Place de Couverts which in turn has the XIVth century Maison des Consuls as its main attraction with its 150 individually carved wooden heads. The cathedral of St-Maurice, built in the Gothic style, has a particularly wide nave.

23 files, last one added on Nov 02, 2014
Album viewed 148 times / 923 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Aude
4 171
Chateau de Violet


04.jpg

A case of a woman fighting the state for something her accountant did wrong, which she has restored and run as a hotel, restaurant and winery for nearly fifty years. will this chateau return to its owner.

10 files, last one added on Nov 04, 2014
Album viewed 204 times / 632 file views

Cite fortifiee de Carcassonne


028.jpg

Carcassonne was struck from the roster of official fortifications under Napoleon, and fell into such disrepair that the French government decided that it should be demolished. A decree to that effect that was made official in 1849 which caused an uproar. The architect Eugene Viollet-le-Duc, was commissioned to renovate the fortified city, works began 1863 and would not be finished until 1960.

106 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 358 times / 2931 file views

Cite fortifiee de Carcassonne 2011


41.jpg

We revisited the wonderful fortified city of Carcassonne, Once earmarked for demolition, it was saved and is now a World Heritage site.

42 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 294 times / 1786 file views

4 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Aveyron
2 108
Brusque


23.jpg

Ruins of the Eglise Saint-Jacques du Castellat, XIIIth century, Chateau de Brusque, first mentioned in 1060, updated around 1464, XVIth century, abandoned in favour of the Château de Fayet, in a complete state of ruin by the Revolution, Chapelle de l'ancien presbytere, XIXth century, Église paroissiale Saint Jacques, XIXth century.

23 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 129 times / 783 file views

Chateau de Montaigut


84.jpg

Xth/XVIIth century. Admire the vaulted rooms served by a spiral staircase, cellar, cistern carved in the rock, guard room, prison, bedrooms, kitchens and also the XVIIth century plasterworks. Enlarged in the XVth century, restored several times before falling into ruin. 1968, Association Amis du Chateau de Montaigut, take ownership, restoration begins, finishing in 1989.

85 files, last one added on Nov 06, 2014
Album viewed 324 times / 2963 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Bas-Rhin
5 325
Chateau du Haut-Koenigsbourg


010.jpg

Located at Orschwiller, the first explicit mention that is known was in 1147. The chateau is nestled at a strategic location on a high hill overlooking the Alsatian plain, as a result it was used by successive powers from the Middle Ages until the Thirty Years' War when it was abandoned. In 1900 it was restored under the direction of Emperor Wilhelm II. Today it is a major tourist attraction, located on the Alsace wine route.

136 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 313 times / 2871 file views

Molsheim


84.jpg

The most notable buildings are the medieval Tour des Forgerons, the Renaissance Metzig, the baroque (although built in late gothic style) Eglise des Jésuites - an inordinately large church insofar as it could house the entire population of the town when built - and the classical Hôtel de ville. The former monastery La Chartreuse, partly destroyed in the French Revolution, now houses a museum.

26 files, last one added on Nov 02, 2014
Album viewed 121 times / 871 file views

Molsheim - Bugatti Fondation


46.jpg

The Musée de la Chartreuse was created in 1946 by Dr Henri Gerlinger, and is housed within the ground of the old Prieuré de la Chartreuse, which was partly destroyed during the Revolution, it also houses the Bugatti Fondation, celbrating the start of a company who built cars here from 1909 until July 1963, when the Bugatti Marque/Factory is sold to Hispano-Suiza.

60 files, last one added on Nov 02, 2014
Album viewed 258 times / 1501 file views

5 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Charente
30 383
Abbaye Saint-Pierre de Cellefrouin


05.jpg

Founded in 1025 by Arnauld de Vitabre, Bishop of Périgueux, with the help of inhabitants one particular named Frouin, who gave his name to the monastery. it was ruined by the wars of religion of the XVIth century, In 1630, one finds in the monastery only six monks, of which four only are resident. often called the sunken abbey.

25 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 122 times / 968 file views

Angouleme


18.jpg

The characterful city of Angouleme in the Charente (Dept 16), Home of the Circuit des Remparts, Comics and the Rizla Paper, Angoulême (Iculisma or Ecolisna, later Angoulesme) was taken by Clovis from the Visigoths in 507. In the IXth century, it was invaded and plundered by the Normans.

42 files, last one added on Nov 15, 2014
Album viewed 249 times / 1323 file views

Balzac


22.jpg

XIIth/XVIIIth century, Guez de Balzac, born on May 31 1597 and died on 8 February 1654, lived at the Chateau de Balzac until 1612. The French writer of the XVIth century contributed to the reform of the French language. Poets, writers. In 1729 his descendants sold the land. The Eglise Saint-Martin (or Eglise de Balzac) dates to the XIIth century.

24 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 156 times / 1162 file views

30 albums on 10 page(s) 1

Charente-Maritime
4 50
Chateau de Neuvicq


20.jpg

Is the possession of the family of Rochendry as of the XIVth century. In 1550 it changes hands and in 1673, the marquis de Montespan, husband of Francoise Athenais de Rochechouart, marchioness of Montespan, inherits it. it in bad condition when sold, its ditches are then filled. It is now the town hall of Neuvicq-le-Chateau.

20 files, last one added on Nov 05, 2014
Album viewed 143 times / 958 file views

Chatelet de Matha


imgp2906e.jpg

866, a chateau is built by Wulgrin, the count of Angouleme, to stop the Vikings, the Lords of Matha remained prosperous and holders of the basic duties and high justice. Then the seigniory passes in the family of Montberon, 1621, the queen mother resided at it during the seat of Saint-Jean-d'Angely, of the chateau only the chatelet of entry (XVIth century) now remains.

8 files, last one added on Nov 15, 2014
Album viewed 125 times / 323 file views

La Rochelle


29SQ2253.jpg

The port of has been standing here since the XIIIth century, it was very likely fortified from the beginning. The towers date back to the XIVth/XVth century, they outlived the destruction of the ramparts after the Siege of 1628. St Nicolas Tower, the tallest, and opposite the Chain Tower, a lighthouse/defense tower which used to be linked by a defensive wall.

18 files, last one added on Nov 15, 2014
Album viewed 126 times / 755 file views

4 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Correze
3 34
Chateau de la Grenerie


4.jpg

Built in 1450 by the Lesbolieres family. This chateau however dates from the middle of the XIXth century, replacing an old noble den situated here since the Middle Ages.

4 files, last one added on Nov 07, 2014
Album viewed 181 times / 292 file views

Segur-le-Chateau


04.jpg

The Viscount of Segur was born in IXth century, at the time of the feudal scattering of the Limousin. The fortress of Segur after an occupation by the English between 1361 and 1374, is confiscated by the king of France and becomes a royal fortified town managed by captains on whom the Viscounts did not have any authority. In 1582, Francois de Perusse, count of des Cars, buys the seigniory of Segur, The Perusse family remained lords of Segur until 1643, after the advent of Henri IV to the throne of France. the radiation and the dynamism of the city were reduced appreciably. In 1750, the court was removed by an edict of the king; thus the middle-class families left little by little starting the decline of the town.

25 files, last one added on Nov 01, 2014
Album viewed 142 times / 1186 file views

Tour de Masseret


4.jpg

Believed to be the highest point in the Correze at 553m altitude. La tour d'orientation - Although of age old aspect, the Tour de Masseret was actually built in 1954 and is used as a water tower. It is on the site of an old feudal castle which, the top of the hill made it possible to supervise the passages between Limoges and Brive. Before the construction of the tower, a majestic beech tree, planted in the neighbourhood around 1792 recalled the times of the symbolically old castle.

5 files, last one added on Oct 31, 2014
Album viewed 126 times / 214 file views

3 albums on 1 page(s)

Creuse
2 27
Chateau de Montaigut le Blanc


01.jpg

First mentioned XIth century, In the XIIIth century the donjon is round, XIVth century, it is moulded with the main building, XVth century increased in height (20m), XXth century, mainly masked by the vegetation, likely to disappear it was bought by private owners. the western part was restored, the castle was thus saved.

21 files, last one added on Nov 06, 2014
Album viewed 153 times / 1064 file views

Commanderie de Paulhac


6.jpg

The commandery of Paulhac is an establishment about the Temple, founded in Paulhac, a village of the commune of Saint-Etienne-of-Fursac. This commandery was one of most important of the Limousin Region. There remains today only the Chapelle Saint-Jean and the Chapelle Saint-Fiacre, both historic buildings registered by voters via decree on the February 19, 1938.

6 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 115 times / 268 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Deux-Sevres
1 3
Chapelle Jean Boucard


1.jpg

The Chapelle Jean Boucard located in Menigoute is one of the true last jewels of Gothic art! Its construction is believed to be prior to 1525, it would have served until 1854.

3 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 118 times / 136 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Dordogne
20 400
Brantome


22.jpg

Benedictine Abbey of Brantome, which was founded in 769 by Charlemagne, rebuilt during the Xth century and again in 1465 and in 1480 after the Hundred Years' War, its Romanesque bell-tower is a competitor for the title "oldest in France" and developed a reputation, Pierre de Mareuil, abbot from 1538 to 56, built a right-angled bridge, over the river.

26 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 143 times / 1041 file views

Bourdeilles


26.jpg

The historical town of Bourdeilles features as following, the Chateau de Bourdeille of the XIIIth century, the attached Château dit Pavillon Renaissance, XVth century, Maison du Senechal (Fishermans Lodge) of the XVth and XVIIth century and finally the Eglise paroissiale Saint-Pierre-es-Liens of the XVth and XIXth centurys.

38 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 272 times / 1207 file views

Chateau de Beynac


2.jpg

Built from the XIIth century by the barons of Beynac, the oldest part of the castle is a large, square-shaped, Romanesque keep, To one side, a residence of the same period is attached; it was remodelled and enlarged in the XVIth and XVIIth centuries. On the other side is a partly XIVth century residence side-by-side with a courtyard and a square plan staircase serving the XVIIth century apartments.

2 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 167 times / 135 file views

20 albums on 7 page(s) 1

Eure-et-Loir
1 16
Chateau de Sorel


15.jpg

The chateau originally dates to the XVIth and XVIIth century but a chateau has been here since the Xth century. This chateau is marked as a ruin in my Michelin map but seems to have been saved which is certainly good and what is our aim of this site (to see these lost sites preserved/restored). It can be rented for wedding functions etc please visit their website.

16 files, last one added on Nov 04, 2014
Album viewed 128 times / 706 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Gard
2 29
Nimes


22.jpg

Nîmes has a rich history, dating back to the Roman Empire when it was called Nemausus. The city was located on the Via Domitia, a Roman road constructed in 118 BC which connected Italy to Spain. The city had an estimated population of 60,000 in the time of Augustus. Augustus gave the town a ring of ramparts six kilometres long, reinforced by fourteen towers of which 2 still remain today. The 18th-century Jardins de la Fontaine (Gardens of the Fountain) built around the roman thermae ruins.

23 files, last one added on Nov 01, 2014
Album viewed 110 times / 881 file views

Maison Carree - Nemausus


17.jpg

The Maison Carrée (Square House), a small Roman temple dedicated to sons of Agrippa was built c. 19 BC. It is one of the best-preserved Roman temples anywhere.

6 files, last one added on Nov 01, 2014
Album viewed 117 times / 250 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Haut-Rhin
5 103
Ammerschwihr


5.jpg

Tour des Fripons, built in 1608, foundations are believed older, protected the old entry to the city. Used as prison during the XVIIth/XVIIIth century, restored after WW2, the old hotel de ville, one of most beautiful buildings in Ammerschwihr before its destruction by the bombardments of 1944, the frontage of the ground floor remains preserved like memorial.

7 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 107 times / 227 file views

Cite de l'Automobile


001.jpg

Cite de l'Automobile, is located in Mulhouse, and houses the Schlumpf Collection of classic automobiles. It contains the largest and most comprehensive collection of Bugatti motor vehicles in the world and to top it off it at one stage this was all abandoned.

44 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 247 times / 2184 file views

Colmar


3.jpg

The Statue de la Liberte is situated in Colmar and is the home town of the painter and engraver Martin Schongauer and the sculptor Frederic Bartholdi, who designed the Statue of Liberty that sits in New York. This replica sits on a roundabout on the approach to the airport.

5 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 111 times / 205 file views

5 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Haute-Garonne
2 23
Aurignac


17.jpg

The old part of the town is centred on the remains of the castle dating from the XIIIth century, including the church, a well-restored keep (donjon), towers, gateways and the parts of the ramparts, some of which have been incorporated into houses. Extending down the hill is the XIVth/XVth century area, also originally walled.

6 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 118 times / 211 file views

Montgeard


15.jpg

A fortified village dating its original roots back to the XIVth century, the Chateau de Montgeard dates from 1555 and was built by the Durand family, made of brick, it's certainly different looking, it was partly destroyed and dismantled in the XIXth century but has been restored by it's current owners who have owned the castle since 1992. The Eglise Notre-Dame de l'Assomption dates to the early part of the XVIth century.

17 files, last one added on Nov 02, 2014
Album viewed 138 times / 691 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Haute-Loire
1 20
Brioude


IMG_5989.jpg

20 files, last one added on Aug 29, 2015
Album viewed 118 times / 435 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Haute-Vienne
25 456
Chapelle Notre-Dame de Vaulry


3.jpg

The vault of Vaulry, such as it appears today, was built in 1886, that is to say in full period of the great steel constructions of Gustave Eiffel and Victor Baltard. although the church originally dates from the 13th century. the vault of the dome, was restored out of chestnut wood, the walls are decorated with a fresco and the broken stained glass replaced.

6 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 125 times / 212 file views

Chateau de Cromieres


4.jpg

Belonged to the family of Pompadour between the middle of the XIVth century and the end of the XVth century, 1520, moderised, work continued through the XVIIth and XVIIIth centuries, it owes alot to the barns being arranged for armed defence, It was set fire to in about 1852, It is now a private residence.

5 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 130 times / 180 file views

Chateau de Douillac


1.jpg

A beautiful defensive fortified chateau that dates to the first part of the XVIth century, it is private property.

4 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 137 times / 164 file views

25 albums on 9 page(s) 1

Hautes-Pyrenees
1 4
Chateau-fort des Angles


3.jpg

Built during the XIth century, given up from the 15th by the barons des Angles, the chateau left in abandonment then fell in ruin.
The chateau remained a ruin sat there until 1980. In 1980, Cernaix Jack and his wife managed to repurchase the ruins and the grounds. The tower was rebuilt, according to the plans of the architects for the buildings of France, as well as the old home which is a rural lodging today.

4 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 118 times / 186 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Indre
2 28
Chateau de Chateaubrun


04.jpg

Built in second half of the XIIth century, a building of typical dark stones for the area which undoubtedly gave the chateau its name, round keep of the XIIIth century, the building was built by Hugues de Lusignan before becoming, in 1817, a stone quarry, it is now the property of the french art sculpter Guy Baudat who's wonderful art is displayed around the now restored chateau.

26 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 135 times / 1041 file views

Chateau de Mazieres


1.jpg

Tower built in the 12th Century, nothing else known apart from its now a hotel with 300 spaces?.

2 files, last one added on Nov 06, 2014
Album viewed 119 times / 92 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Lot-et-Garonne
1 4
Chateau de Madaillan


3.jpg

Constructed in 1285-1289, by Amanieu II du Fossat, It is the theatre of many Franco-English confrontations in XIVth/XVth century, used as fortified camp during the Wars of religion. It resists in 1575, after failure, Ducs d'Aiguillon has the castle thereafter. Given up for a long time, the chateau was partially restored at the XIXth century and XXth century.

4 files, last one added on Nov 06, 2014
Album viewed 119 times / 259 file views

1 albums on 1 page(s)

Puy-de-Dôme
3 26
Champeix


07.jpg

Chapelle Saint Jean of the XIIth and XVIIIth century and the Chateau du Marchidial of the XIIIth century,
modified in the XVth century, it is destroyed en 1633 by order of Richelieu.

11 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 124 times / 409 file views

Chapelle Notre-Dame de la Salette


04.jpg

The chapelle was built in 1868, it sits on the peak of Petit Turluron at a height of 540 metres just outside the small hamlet of Tinlhat.

12 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 122 times / 459 file views

Chateau de la Rochette


3.jpg

Built XIIth century, XVth century, the castle is transformed, 1792, the region is so poor that the revolutionaries do not attack at the Castle.
XXIst century, viewing of the exterior is possible since a trail passes close by but the castle is private property and it is not possible to visit.

3 files, last one added on Nov 07, 2014
Album viewed 125 times / 121 file views

3 albums on 1 page(s)

Pyrenees-Orientales
2 15
Chapelle Saint-Michel


2.jpg

The Chapelle Saint-Michel situated in Sournia, dating to the Xth century, located not in the village but just 1,6 km to the south-west, isolated in the middle of a forest. first mentioned in the year 965, the vault was then in the possession of the abbey Saint-Michel de Cuxa, marked as a ruin on my map, nice to see it has been saved.

6 files, last one added on Nov 09, 2014
Album viewed 119 times / 239 file views

Montalba-le-Chateau


1.jpg

A French village-border, Chateau built starting XIIth century, but whose square tower seems older. As it is the case for other strengthened villages, the church is located apart from the enclosure. It seems to date from the XIIIth century.

9 files, last one added on Nov 06, 2014
Album viewed 111 times / 359 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)

Vienne
6 51
Chateau de Dissay


02.jpg

Built by Pierre d' Amboise, Bishop of Poitiers, in the XVth century, 1569, Admiral de Coligny took the castle by storm, The towers used as prisons. The Abbot of Saint-Cyran was held there. it was the residence of the Bishops of Poitiers until the Revolution in 1793, The central part of the castle was rebuilt between 1900 and 1905.

13 files, last one added on Nov 08, 2014
Album viewed 142 times / 596 file views

Chateau de la Messeliere


1.jpg

First construction date is unknown. Belonged to the Faugere family starting from second half of XIIIth century. It was passed by alliance in 1420 to the Frotier family, the owner nowadays. considered impregnable until the beginning of XVth, it was destroyed in 1357. Rebuilt about 1450 by Guy Frotier, into it's present form of a square construction on three floors, flanked by four round towers.

2 files, last one added on Nov 07, 2014
Album viewed 130 times / 105 file views

Chauvigny


09.jpg

Chauvigny features two interesting Romanesque churches, both have been restored in modern times. There are also ruins of the Chateau baronnial belonging to the bishops of Poitiers XIIth century, and of several other strongholds including the Chateau d'Harcourt (XIIIth century) and the Collégiale Saint-Pierre (XIth century).

13 files, last one added on Nov 03, 2014
Album viewed 125 times / 519 file views

6 albums on 2 page(s) 1

Yvelines
2 141
Chateau de Versailles


096.jpg

Once nothing more than a country village; today, however, it is a suburb of Paris, Louis ordered the construction of a hunting lodge in 1624. Eight years later, Louis obtained the seigneury of Versailles from the Gondi family and began to make enlargements to the chateau. This structure would become the core of the new palace. Louis XIII's successor, Louis XIV, had it expanded into one of the largest palaces in the world.

101 files, last one added on Nov 04, 2014
Album viewed 293 times / 5743 file views

Grand Trianon - Versailles


40.jpg

In 1668, Louis XIV purchased Trianon, a hamlet on the outskirts of Versailles, and commissioned the architect Louis Le Vau to design a porcelain pavilion (Trianon de porcelaine) to be built there. Begun in June 1687, the new construction (as we see it today) was finished in January 1688 and inaugurated by Louis XIV and his secret wife, the marquise de Maintenon, during the summer of 1688. During the French Revolution of 1789, the Grand Trianon was left to neglect. Napoleon made it one of his residences, and furnished it in the Empire Style.

40 files, last one added on Nov 02, 2014
Album viewed 231 times / 4480 file views

2 albums on 1 page(s)


Last Updated - France
IMG_5989.jpg
BrioudeAug 29, 2015
IMG_0246.JPG
Eglise Saint EutropeNov 16, 2014
29SQ2356.jpg
Saint Amant de BoixeNov 15, 2014
imgp1257e.jpg
St Germain de ConfolensNov 15, 2014
29SQ3158.jpg
RodasNov 15, 2014
29SQ3016.jpg
PressignacNov 15, 2014

Who is online?
.  .  In total there are : 11 Visitors.  Most Visitors Online: 59 on 01/17/16 at 00:47.  .

Abandoned France 2009-2014 by John S