This chateau owes its name to the Pot family who owned it between 1300 to 1484. The old fortress spouts out. The square Tower, the western and northern curtains and the water ditches date from XIIIth century.
The frontage, with the gate drawbridge, the machicolations of the curtains and the turns were taken again of the XIVth and XVth centuries.
From this time, splendid monumental chimneys, spiral staircases, superb carved waste-gas mains were added. In the course of the XIXth century it becomes a farm, the sudden castle full of modernizations and then destruction and abandonment.
Since 1984 it takes again life thanks to the building sites organized by l'Association de Sauvegarde du Chateau de la Prune-au-Pot et l'Association Chantier Histoire et Architecture Medievale.
It's always astonishing to find old pictures of these somewhat abandoned unloved places.. This chateau also comes up trumps and shows what a hive of activity it once was in its day.
As it is now.
As it used to be.
As it was. note that in the picture below, the big square house still has windows, the white building is no longer there, but in the following picture after that the square keep has already become a ruined state and that it has three floors so must be an earlier picture.